Wheatbelt Innovation and Enterprise 2017
Once a year, TechCamps4Kids volunteer their services and computers, to help kids in the rural area.
This year, TechCamps4Kids will be teaching over 500 kids how to use technology for innovation and enterprise. This means, that by the end of the camps, kids will have a better understanding on how to use new skills to create opportunities for a sustainable future.
We will keep you posted on kids achievements through our facebook page.
However, we thought we would leave you with some statistics found on the national site:
- There has been a steady increase of unemployment in this area
- About 30% of businesses that employed staff have closed
- Only 3.5% of youth age 15 to 19 are engaged in work study
- Comparing 2011 census to the latest census, almost 50% of business that employed more than 4 staff closed
- And, from personal experience, many houses are now left vacant as families have moved to cities for jobs.
By teaching kids skills that they love and are passionate about, means that we can make a difference to this community. If only 1% of kids we impact in this area, are able to take their skills to level where they run businesses and offer job opportunities to 4 or more people – we can reverse these statistics and create hope and purpose for this community.
We call that GIVING A HAND UP not a hand out!